Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 16- Mounties pull the upset


Another full day to blog about, I love when I get to spend the whole day with my family! Today, as the title implies, the Mountaineers pulled a big upset over Purdue. It was an awesome game to watch. Jackson loves his WVU basketball and I got a hilarious picture of him with the ball so I'll share that today.
We also got our high chair up and ready for Jackson. We aren't going to get him really eating until 6 months, but we want him to get used to sitting in the high chair while we have dinner. It will be good for us to begin family dinnertime as well. That is something super important to me. Growing up, I remember that if I had some type of sports practice and couldn't be home for dinner with the family either my dad sat with me and we enjoyed that time or he took me to the Siebenbuerger Club where you get this HUGE dinner for like 1.50. I always got to play the gambling machines too- and sometimes I won. Some of my favorite memories growing up were from family meal time and I hope to pass that tradition on to Jackson.
Anyway, we started Jackson sitting in the highchair tonight. He had a little bit of a fussy day b/c he's having a hard time cutting those top two teeth. So we decided to let him teeth on a carrot. He was totally loving it. So I've included a picture of Jackson and his carrot. I'm really excited to start solid foods when he turns 6 months. Like everything else parenting, after reading way too much, I think we are going to start with using baby-led weaning. I'm looking forward to blogging about the ups and downs of this method, but the super condensed version is that Jackson will feed himself and he will eat "real" food from day 1. There won't be me spoon feeding him purees. Here is a link to the book if you are interested: http://www.babyledweaning.com/ This was a recent decision, so thanks to my sister, if I change my mind I am set to make my own baby food. If not my brother is getting the kit ;)
Finally tonight I'm going to talk about another pocket diaper, Fuzzibunz. In honor of the Jets victory (which let's be honest, every Steeler fan let out a huge sigh of relief- not that next week is an easy win, but a team that mirrors ours much more closely and will lead to another hard hitting game) I'm going to cover the Fuzzibunz One-Size. I've included a picture of Jackson in his macaroni and cheese OS fuzzibunz.
The Fuzzibunz OS was by far my favorite diaper when Jackson was smaller. It is very unique in that you aren't customizing the size by snapping, but rather by adjusting the elastic in the legs. Many of you know Jackson was a little baby (6lbs 11oz) and had some skinny legs. He leaked out of his bumgenius when he was tiny, but the Fuzzibunz never leaked. I could make the diaper perfect for his size. It took a little adjusting to get it right at first, but has been great ever since. While it does come with a microfiber insert, I had extra BumGenius OS inserts which snap down at one end, doubling the absorbency. Since the FBs OS have a skinnier pocket while I have them set for Jackson's skinny legs, this insert is perfect. I put the doubled up part in the front for my boy and we're all set to go. I love the snaps and know that these diapers will be the first I reach for for the next baby. I have these in 2 macaroni and cheese (yellow), 1 royal blue, and 1 white. Some would think the white is boring, but it's actually really cute. And since I do use cloth, white is such a novel color- it's nice to have.

I hope you all are enjoying this blog- I'm enjoying writing it and reviewing my stash. I hope it helps people. As always if you have any questions about anything we are trying, please send me a message or leave a comment. I'd be happy to share why we decided what we've decided and I'm always open to new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

About This Blog

This blog will document the lives of Jackson, Joe, and Bernie throughout 2011. The purpose of this blog is to learn to celebrate and appreciate something every day. It will also have comments from me about being a new mom, trying to raise a child to appreciate and respect all things in nature.